- 4 cups red potatotes thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter or alternative
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp flour gluten free if needed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 13.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups diced ham optional
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice optional
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter.
Once butter is melted, add onions and saute until soft and translucent (5-10 minutes.)
Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously.
De-glaze by pouring in the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring.
Mix in coconut milk and let the sauce come to a soft boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened, stirring often. Remove from heat.
In a 8X8 baking dish, spread a thin layer of sauce. Lay potatoes on top and layer with ham, cheese and more sauce. Repeat until all the potatoes are in the dish. Finish with a layer of sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for an additional 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are soft and cheese is golden brown.
Place in a container with a twist top or snap lid.
Warm, covered, in an oven safe dish in the airplane oven for 20 minutes.
Warm, covered, over medium heat in a mini-skillet in the hotel room.